EASY VEGGIE STEW RECIPE
A hearty vegetable stew filled with healthy starches, vegetables, mushrooms and a rich savory broth. Accompanied by a thick slice of homemade bread - perfect.
- 1/3 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 3 medium (200 g) carrots diced
- 5 small (500 g) potatoes chopped
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
- 2 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot flour
- 3 cups (720 ml) vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried
- 2 1/3 cup (350 g) frozen peas
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes or less if sensitive to heat
- 1/2 cup (120 g) dairy-free heavy cream or canned coconut milk
- 1 medium (70 g) stalk celery with greens, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) white wine or more vegetable broth
- Heat oil over medium heat in a pan and add the onion. Sauté for about 2-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add carrots, potatoes, celery, garlic, and all herbs + spices. Sauté for a further one minute, then add vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Cook for about 5 minutes, then add the frozen peas and cook for 15 more minutes or until veggies and peas are softened.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with vegan heavy cream or canned coconut milk with a whisk.
- Pour the milk into the stew, also add white wine (or use more broth/or plant-based milk for a creamier soup) and let simmer for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Add more salt/pepper/spices to taste. You can blend half of the soup with an immersion blender to make it creamier.
- Garnish with fresh herbs (optional) and enjoy! Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The stew can be frozen! Enjoy your cooking!