Creamy Italian Quinoa Soup
This creamy Italian quinoa soup is not only incredibly delicious, but it also contains protein, fiber, and essential vitamins and antioxidants.
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 celery ribs chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 4 - 6 cups fresh spinach
- 1 white onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon miso paste
- 4 medium carrots chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup white quinoa uncooked
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs
- 1 15oz can Tuttorosso Tomato Sauce
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 14.5oz can Tuttorosso Stewed Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast + more if desired
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic and saute until carrots have started to soften, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add chickpeas and quinoa to the mixture.
- Roughly chop the stewed tomatoes, then add them, along with the juice, to the pot with the sauce, broth and herbs and stir to combine. Season with a bit more salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce to simmer and simmer, partially covered, for 20 - 30 minutes (or longer if desired).
- While the soup is cooking, add the cashews, nutritional yeast, miso, water and 1/2 cup of the soup broth (just scoop it from the pot) into a high-powered blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy. This is your "cream"!
- When ready to serve, stir in spinach and cashew cream. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary (I stirred in a touch more nutritional yeast). Enjoy your soup!