This very wet chocolate cake recipe was developed in the 1940s and was very popular because it did not contain eggs, butter or milk and mixed it in the pan. A very soft and easy to prepare chocolate cake that goes very well with a glass of cold milk!
- Optional: chocolate frosting (see links in post)
- 2 heaping teaspoons baking soda
- 1 scant cup cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 cups white sugar
- 5 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare a 9x13 baking dish by spraying it with nonstick cook spray.
- Mix together dry ingredients: sugar, flour, salt, cocoa powder, and baking soda.
- Make a well in the middle and add the oil, vanilla, vinegar, and cold water. Whisk together until smooth batter forms.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until cake passes the toothpick test. Serve warm or let cool before frosting. Enjoy your cooking!