Chocolate Lava Cake
These chocolate lava cakes are ready in less than 30 minutes with only 15 minutes of preparation. Easy, delicious and impressive chocolate desserts that can be prepared in advance and frozen for later. With gluten-free, dairy-free and sugar-free options.
- 1 egg
- ½ cup Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- pinch Salt (about ⅛ tsp)
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract (optional)
- 2 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter softened, (1/2 stick)
- ½ cup Bitter-Sweet Chocolate Chips (4 ounces) or semi-sweet chocolate chips for sweeter results (I use Ghirardelli)
- Powdered sugar for dusting on top
- Vanilla Ice-cream or Salted Caramel Ice-Cream
Prepare Ramekins (skip if using silicone mold)
- Spray your ramekins with any non-stick baking spray (like Pam). Using a kitchen towel dab the excess oil away. Your ramekins are now ready for baking. Skip this step if using silicone molds. Those are ready to go and do not need any greasing.
Lava Cake Batter
- Melt butter and chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second increments. It takes around 1 minute or a few seconds longer depending on the quantity you are using. Using a whisk, mix well till smooth.
- Sift in confectioners sugar and mix again. Add eggs, vanilla and salt, and mix again. Sift in flour and whisk till everything is incorporated.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, divide the batter in the greased ramekins (or silicone cupcake molds), leaving 1/4 inch space from the top. Cook the lava cakes in an Instant Pot or Oven:
Instant Pot Method
- Put 1 cup water in the Inner pot of the Instant Pot (2 cups for 8 qt), and place a trivet with handles. Place cakes on the trivet. If doubling this recipe, you might have to place 3 ramekins and stack the 4th one on top.
- Cook on Manual/Pressure Cook (high pressure)for 7 minutes. If you like a less gooey center, increase time to 8 minutes. (see notes for more textures)
- When cooking is done carefully release pressure (QR), and remove the cakes. Cool for 1 minute.
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F. Follow the steps and prepare the lava cake batter and divide in ramekins or silicone cupcake molds.
- Place the cakes on a cookie sheet and bake for 8-9 minutes if using silicone molds, or 10-11 minutes if using ramekins, depending on how gooey you want the center to be.
- Cool the lava cakes for 1 minute. Then, invert the cakes on to the serving plate and dust with confectioners sugar (optional). Serve warm as-is, or with a scoop of vanilla or your favorite ice-cream. Enjoy your cake!