Chicken and Dumplings
This easy recipe for chicken and ravioli is the perfect comfort food. A hearty recipe that uses roasted chicken, fluffy buttermilk and chive dumplings that are both simple to prepare and incredibly easy to get lost for a moment or two.
- ⅓ cup Butter
- 1 teaspoon Basil
- ½ teaspoon Thyme
- 2 Large Chicken Breasts
- 1 Tablespoon Parsley
- ¼ cup All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Table Cream
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons Garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 4 cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 2 large Carrots, diced (around 1 cup)
- 8 mini Potatoes, cubed (around 1 cup)
- 2 large stalks of Celery, diced (around 1 cup)
- 1 Milk, of choice
- ½ teaspoon Basil
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Thyme
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons Parsley
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, melted
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
To make the stew
- In a large heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven, add the vegetable oil and heat over medium heat. Once the oil is heated, add the chicken breasts.
- Cook the chicken breasts 15-20 minutes flipping regularly until fully cooked.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the pot and using two forks, shred the chicken. Set aside.
- Using the same pot that you cooked the chicken in, melt the butter. When the butter is melted, add the minced garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the celery, carrots, potatoes, parsley, basil, thyme, salt and pepper to the pot. Stir to combine and cover the pot with a lid. Let the vegetables cook for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, remove the lid. Sprinkle the flour over top of the vegetables and stir in, until fully combined.
- Add the broth, cream, and shredded chicken into the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and let the stew cook for 10-15 minutes.
To make the Dumplings
- In a medium sized bowl combine the flour, milk, melted butter, olive oil, baking powder, parsley, basil, thyme, pepper, and salt. Mix together using a sturdy wooden spoon, when the ingredients are combined, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes.
- Pinch off golf ball sized pieces of dough, and roll into a ball. Repeat until all of the dough is portioned and rolled into balls.
- Cooking the Dumplings
- After the time is up, remove the lid and stir the stew well.
- Keeping the stew at a simmer, plop the dumplings into the stew. DO NOT STIR..
- Replace the lid and set a timer for 14 minutes. Do not open the lid during this time. The steam steams and cooks the dumplings so it is crucial to keep the lid on.
- After the time is up, remove the stew from the heat, remove the lid, and let the stew rest for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy your cooking!