Carrot Cake Banana Bread
This banana and carrot cake bread is made without butter or oil, but so tender and tasty that you can never say it's healthy! Greek yogurt, bananas and grated carrots keep it moist, while sweet cream cheese frosting makes it very decadent.
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- optional 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrot
- 2 cups white, spelt, or oat flour
- 1/4 cup oil OR additional milk of choice
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup, honey, or agave
- optional crushed walnuts, coconut, etc.
- 1 1/2 cup mashed overripe banana (for banana free, try this Vegan Carrot Cake)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease a 9x5 pan, or line with parchment.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. If desired, you can add 1/2 cup crushed walnuts and/or a handful of shredded coconut.
- Whisk liquid ingredients including carrot and banana in separate bowl.
- Pour wet into dry, and stir to form a batter. Smooth into prepared pan.
- Bake on the center rack 37 minutes, then do not open the oven door at all but turn off the heat and let sit in the closed oven 10 additional minutes.
- If still undercooked at this time, simply turn the oven back on and continue baking checking every 5 minutes–until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean.
- Let cool. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Taste and texture are much better the second day (and even better the third day as it gets sweeter).
- Leftovers can be sliced and frozen for up to a month.
- If you want to frost the bread, I included a few links to some frosting recipes above in the post, or you can use about 1/2 cup softened coconut butter sweetened if desired. Enjoy your breakfast!