Cannoli Cake Recipe
This homemade Italian cannoli cake recipe is a doozy! Topping of homemade cannoli sandwiched between layers of rum butter cake soaked in rum with whipped vanilla buttercream frosting and loads of mini chocolate chips.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 bag (10 ounces) mini chocolate chips divided (if you want a lot of chocolate chips on the outside, you may want to have another bag on hand)
- 1 tub (16 ounces) mascarpone cheese drained overnight if needed (see notes below)
- 1 tub (10 ounces) ricotta cheese drained overnight if needed (see notes below)
- 3 cups powdered sugar (possibly more if needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter and flour 2 9-inch round baking pans (or can substitute 8-inch round baking pans).
- Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt in medium mixing bowl until well combined.
- Beat together butter and granulated sugar in large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Then beat in fresh orange zest and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract until well combined.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and milk into the butter and sugar mixture, beating after each addition until just combined.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pans, spread to form even layers. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into middle comes out clean. (If using 8 inch pans, baking time will be about 30-35 minutes.)
- Cool cakes slightly then remove from pans and finish cooling completely on wire racks. When cakes are completely cool, split each layer in half horizontally with a long serrated knife to form 4 layers.
- Beat together ricotta and mascarpone in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Beat in powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, orange juice, cinnamon, and salt until well combined.
- To assemble cake, place one layer on cake dish. Top with frosting then sprinkle about 2-3 tablespoons of mini chocolate chips on top. Repeat with remaining layers. Frost outside of cake and add remaining chocolate chips to outside of cake or as desired. Use remaining frosting to decorate or pipe as desired. Refrigerate cake until ready to serve. Enjoy your baking!