Blueberry & Cream Cheese French Toast Casserole
This is a family favorite. It's really for breakfast but it's good enough for dessert! It would be great for that special vacation breakfast. If you have a lot of people for the holidays, you can double the recipe and make 2 pans.
- 1 cup fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries that have been tossed in 1 tablespoon of flour to keep them from bleeding
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese, light or regular cubed. (for easier cutting put in freezer for 15 minutes)
- 1 large loaf french bread - about 8 cups day old is best
- 1/4 cup raw sugar for sprinkling on top optional
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 8 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
Butter a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Cut french bread into 2 inch cubes and set aside.
- In large bowl, combine eggs, half and half, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Whisk until completely mixed.
- Put one half of bread cubes in prepared dish.
- Top with half cream cheese cubes and half cup of blueberries.
- Add remaining bread cubes and top with remaining cream cheese and additional half cup of blueberries.
- Pour egg mixture over bread cubes. Pressing mixture down so completely soaked by egg mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to 48 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove plastic wrap and sprinkle casserole with raw sugar.
- Cover casserole with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake an additional 20-30 minutes or until center is firm and bread is slightly brown on top.
- Cool slightly and serve with blueberry sauce.
- In small saucepan, combine sugar, water and cornstarch until simmering.
- Add blueberries and simmer for 10 minutes. Using a fork or whisk, slightly break up the blueberries to desired consistency.
- Cool slightly before serving or store in refrigerator for up to 3 days. Enjoy your breakfast!