BLACK FOREST CAKE RECIPE
This Black Forest cake is my version of the famous German chocolate cake, aka "Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte". It has 4 chocolate layers, 1 lb of kirsch infused cherries and a light whipped cream.
- 1 recipe Perfect Chocolate Cake baked and cooled
for the cherry filling:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups frozen tart cherries + extra for garnish
for the whipped cream:
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 oz. bittersweet baking chocolate I used Ghirardelli (1 bar)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons chocolate syrup divided
- The first thing to do is make the cake using this recipe Let the 2-8 inch cakes cool completely.
- For the cherry filling, stir sugar and cornstarch together in a cold small pot until combined. Add in cherries and toss. Place over medium-low heat to melt frozen cherries. Once a paste has formed around the cherries, increase the heat to medium and keep stirring until all the liquid has come out of the cherries and mixture is boiling. Continue to stir until it becomes very thick, about 4 minutes or boiling. Be careful to not walk away from this mixture because it can burn easily. Remove from heat and stir in butter and almond extract. Cool completely.
- For the cream, whip heavy whipping cream, sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use.
To assemble cake:
- Slice one 8-inch round in half and place onto a cake plate. Drizzle the inside of cake with 3 tablespoons of chocolate syrup and spread using the back of a spoon. Top with the other half of cake. Add on cooled cherry filling leaving a 1-inch border. You will not use all of it...FYI! I had about 2 tablespoons left.} Place another half an 8-inch round on top of cherry filling. Drizzle with remaining 3 tablespoons of chocolate syrup and spread. Top with remaining cake. Spread entire cake with whipped cream. I find it always better to add way too much and then as I clean up the cake, I remove the excess. This helps ensure not a ton of crumbs get into your cream.
- If desired use a vegetable peeler to create chocolate shavings with the chocolate baking bar. Freeze 5 minutes before applying to the sides and top of the cake.
- Garnish with cherries if desired. Serve! Enjoy your cake!