SWEET POTATO CHOWDER
This vegan sweet potato chowder offers everything you want in a hot fall soup. It has a velvety broth with seasonal spices, such as sage and paprika, and pieces of tender root vegetables. It's delicious the day you make it, but like most soups, it's even better the next day. So make a big batch of this herbal chowder and enjoy it all week.
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground sage
- 4 ounces pancetta, diced
- 2 cups chopped tuscan kale
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons roasted salted pepitas, for topping
- ⅓ cup cream, half and half or coconut cream/milk
- 3 cups chopped sweet potato, about 1 inch in size
- Heat a large pot over medium-low heat and add the pancetta. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the fat is rendered and the pancetta is crisp, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the pancetta with a slotted spoon and place it on a paper towel lined plate to remove any excess grease.
- Keep the pot on medium low heat and add the butter. Stir in the onion, garlic, salt, pepper and sage. Stir in the fresh nutmeg. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the carrots and sweet potato, tossing everything to combine.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce it to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Cover and cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes cubes soften. Stir in the cream/halfhalf/etc. Taste the soup and season with additional salt or pepper if needed, but remember we will add the salty pancetta back on top too!
- A few minutes before serving, stir in the kale. I like to serve it almost immediately, but you can simmer the soup for another 10 minutes or so to soften it.
- Serve with the pancetta and pepitas for topping. Enjoy your cooking!