Kale Quinoa Salad with Honey, Lemon and Dijon Dressing
This kale and quinoa salad is a really tasty salad that just happens to feature two super foods - kale and quinoa. Fresh herbs, crushed nuts and feta as well as a nice lemon vinaigrette make this kale salad so tasty that it is succulent enough to be served as a meal or as a side dish.
For the Quinoa
- 4 cups baby kale roughly chopped (remove tough ribs first)
- ½ teaspoon kosher or coarse salt
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
For the Dressing
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Juice and finely grated zest of one lemon
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
For the Salad
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- ¾ cup crumbled feta or goat cheese
- ½ cup chopped dried apricots or dried pears
- Bring 1 cup of water and the vegetable broth to a boil in a small pot over high heat. Add ½ teaspoon salt and stir in the quinoa. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, until all of the water is absorbed. Stir in the kale, which will wilt from the heat of the quinoa. Turn the mixture into a shallow serving bowl and let cool.
- Meanwhile make the dressing. In a small container combine the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, lemon juice and zest, and salt and pepper. Shake to combine.
- When the quinoa has cooled to room temperature, Pour over the dressing and toss to combine well. Add the apricots, scallions, oregano and goat cheese, and toss again to combine. Serve at room temperature. Enjoy your cooking!