Amish Baked Oatmeal
This healthy family favorite can be made ahead of time and tastes similar to an oatmeal and cinnamon cookie. I generally take a minimalist approach, but the recipe is easy to personalize with the addition of raisins, nuts, etc. If you double the recipe, use a 9 × 13 baking dish, adding a few minutes to the cooking time as needed.
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 cups rolled oats (quick oats works fine too)
- 1 1/2 cups milk (preferably anything but skim)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or packed light-brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8 by 8-inch baking dish, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together milk, eggs, maple syrup or brown sugar, butter, baking powder, vanilla, cinnamon and salt.
- Mix in oats.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and spread evenly**.
- Bake in preheated oven 30 - 40 minutes until set.
- Let cool slightly then cut into squares and serve warm with fresh fruit, nuts, milk, a little cream or half and half, maple syrup or honey if desired. Enjoy your cook!
Note:Sweetener amount can be adjusted to taste, I recommend using at least 1/4 cup (mildly sweet) and no more than 3/4 cup (really sweet).