VEGAN CREAMY SPICY SUN DRIED TOMATO PASTA
A spicy, dry tomato sauce with a simple and quick-made cream sauce. Using simple materials that are easy to find.
- 1/2 + 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes (jarred in oil, with garlic and herbs included), drained from any oil
- 1 tbsp + 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 to 5 garlic gloves, minced (2 tbsp)
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornflour*
- 1/2 tsp salt + pepper to taste
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 to 3 big handfuls of rocket or baby spinach
- 250g uncooked penne pasta
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chilli flakes, or to taste
- Cook your pasta according to the package instructions, but leave the pasta just slightly undercooked. Set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil into a large frying pan over medium to high heat. When hot, add garlic and cook for 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Mix in cornflour and cook for a further minute. Add 1/2 tsp of salt and 1 cup of almond milk, making sure that the mixture is smooth besides the garlic. When it has thickened, add the remaining cup of almond milk. When it has thickened slightly (it will thicken further when blended), pour this into a blender.
- Add 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, nutritional yeast and 1/3 cup water to the blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Rinse out the frying pan and heat up 1/2 tsp of oil. Cut the remaining sun dried tomatoes to be roughly 2cm pieces. Add this along with the onion to the pan and sauté for 3 minutes. Add chilli flakes and dried oregano and cook for a further minute. If it sticks to the frying pan, add a splash of water.
- Pour the sauce into the pan, making sure the heat is low to medium to prevent it from sticking. When the sauce is heated through, add in the pasta. Add pepper to taste and any extra salt or a splash of water if needed. When the pasta is heated through, serve this on top of the greens.
- ready to serve.