Best Ever Tom Kha Gai Soup
Tom's soup is really perfect. Rich and creamy. This recipe is made special because of this. with just a few minutes you can eat this soup.
- 4 cups chicken broth see Note 1 if vegan or on Whole30
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 lemongrass stalk pounded with the side of a knife and cut into 2-inch long pieces
- 1/2 red jalapeno pepper sliced, or a couple Thai chiles, halved
- fresh cilantro chopped, for garnish
- 3 quarter-inch slices slices galangal or ginger
- 2 teaspoons red Thai curry paste
- 4 cups canned coconut cream or coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 8 oz. white mushroom caps sliced
- 1-2 Tbsp. coconut sugar if on Whole30, see Note 3
- 1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp. fish sauce plus more to taste, see Note 4 if on Whole30 or vegan
- 2-3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2-3 green onions sliced thin
- 2 medium chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces, see Note 2 for vegan/vegetarian or to use shrimp
- In a medium pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, chile, galangal or ginger, lemongrass, and red curry paste and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until onions are softened.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce head and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Add in coconut cream or milk, chicken breast (or tofu or shrimp), and mushrooms. Simmer until chicken breast pieces are just cooked through, then add fish sauce, coconut aminos, and lime juice, plus more of each to taste.
- Cook 2 minutes, then ladle into serving bowls and top with sliced green onions and fresh cilantro.
- Soup ready to serve.